Benefits of Employee Training Tracking Software
How to keep track of training for employees.
- Why you should track employee training.
- What employee training you should track.
- Total training management solution.
If you want to stay nimble, boost productivity, and remain competitive, regularly investing in employees through ongoing training is a must.
This goes beyond simply meeting basic regulatory and compliance requirements. A commitment to employee training means you aim to develop individuals at every level to enhance their capabilities and ensure they’re performing their jobs safely and accurately.
The payoff for ongoing employee training? Increased morale, knowledgeable and competent staff, improved on-the-job performance, and reduced business costs, to name just a few benefits.
Training, therefore, helps attract and retain top talent.
If you’re going to invest in training employees, then you need to invest in tracking that training every step of the way.
The most efficient way to tackle this task is through comprehensive employee training tracking software.
But first, it helps to understand the reasons you should be tracking employee
Get More Training Content
Sign up to get more resources and best practices right in your inbox.
You will receive our next newsletter in your inbox soon.
Why You Should Track Employee Training
Tracking employee training yields benefits besides the obvious – boosting efficiency and maintaining a record of their complete training.
For starters, effective employee training management keeps workers in compliance with federal, state, or industry regulations – a key part of risk management and future-proofing your business.
If there’s an accident or incident within your organization that can be traced back to a lack of adequate employee training, your business could face serious liability.
Using employee training tracking software to monitor when and where you provided what training to whom takes the guesswork out of training-related compliance.
Also, tracking employee training helps quickly and easily identify the knowledge gaps in your organization.
How can you tell which employee needs which training? How do you know if an employee is making progress towards upskilling?
It’s difficult to tell if you have to flip through a binder and manually look up training details or search through multiple spreadsheets to figure it out. It’s easy if you’re using employee training tracking software.
Finally, tracking helps you stay on top of your training content and materials that might need to be updated to reflect more current industry developments and regulatory changes.
This allows you to focus on creating targeted, fresh, up-to-date training content instead of dealing with the time-consuming hassle of the administrative tasks involved. That’s another reason employee training tracking software can be a godsend.
What Employee Training You Should Track
Here are several common training areas that businesses often track.
- Onboarding: With new hires, the onboarding process becomes streamlined when you track the many steps involved in communicating key information and bringing employees up to speed. From reading key white papers and watching videos to attending webinars and taking skills assessments, employee training tracking software ensures not even one onboarding step falls through the cracks. When training is automated, centralized, accessible, and trackable, onboarding is consistent for every employee.
- Professional Certifications: If your industry requires licensing or certification, tracking the training your business provides is essential. This gives you an at-a-glance overview of who’s current (and who’s not) on the industry’s latest advances, legislation, skills, and technologies. Tracking employee training ensures that employees maintain their skills and fosters client trust in your business.
- Continuing Education: Some professional organizations require their members to take continuing education courses in order to maintain their membership. For example, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants requires their Certified Public Accountants members to have continuing education hours. Tracking these hours and their expiration from a central training tracking software is a great help for employees.
- Compliance Training: To reduce your organization’s risk and liability, you should be regularly offering training on topics such as sexual harassment, diversity, security awareness, and discrimination. By providing and tracking compliance training, you’re not only educating your workforce on the importance of these issues but also maintaining easily accessible records to prove you’ve done your part.
- Career Development: For the good of both your organization as a whole and of the individual worker, your business should provide ongoing career development opportunities to all employees. From skills training (such as how to operate a specific piece of machinery) to education on soft skills (think workplace communication), employees need to know how to perform better in their jobs. If you recall the statistic cited earlier, training helps attract and retain top talent.
Total Training Management Solution
Most employee training tracking software offers the bare minimum – it delivers and tracks company information that the organization’s employees need to know. That’s a good start.
But tracking is just one piece of a total training solution.
A good employee training tracking software goes beyond just tracking completion. You should look for software that does everything for you from start to finish – onboarding, hosting, testing, getting feedback, and, finally, tracking.
Here is a list of what a complete training management software should help you accomplish.
At the beginning of employees’ careers with your company, they’ll need to go through an onboarding process that can sometimes feel disjointed if not done properly.
Because onboarding is mostly repetitive, you might wonder how to keep track of training for employees from the start. This is the perfect time to tap into the power of an online training management software solution.
You can use it to create all the necessary courses and checklists for new employees to complete so they can get the appropriate training from day one.
Some of this may be meeting face-to-face with different departments, but training management software allows you to set that up once and run each new employee through the same process steps.
Online and offline training
Most traditional Learning Management Systems (LMS’s) track training hosted in their software, but it’s more difficult to track offline or in-person training.
While it can usually be done, it’s not very seamless to use the software to schedule classroom training or track results.
But PowerDMS has the ability for users to create and host online training or use the software to manage and track in-person training.
This ties into the section above, but it’s a key piece of a training management solution. You need to be able to issue and track results of tests associated with training.
How else can you monitor understanding and retention of training materials? A key distinction of PowerDMS is it allows you to attach a test to any piece of content in our system.
This ensures that employees are not only trained on important material but also that they comprehend every document, policy, or communication.
Sure, it’s extremely helpful to get feedback on the training itself, but PowerDMS takes you beyond that.
Our employee training tracking software shows you how engaged employees are or how satisfied they are with their jobs and career direction at your company.
It can also be for less serious items like input on employee rewards and recognition, what size shirts they need for corporate-wear, or even where to go for team outings.
Implementing a feedback/survey tool as part of your training management allows for that
Automate manual processes
PowerDMS automates manual processes to save time, resources, and money. This is what technology is supposed to help you do – give you a tool that requires less manual effort, especially in repetitive tasks.
When it comes to employee training management, you don’t want to worry about losing any important information or having to manually follow-up with employees to determine if they’ve completed what they’re supposed to or scrambling when a certification is about to expire.
Our PowerDMS software tracks all of that for you so you don’t have to. Simply set reminders ahead of time and nothing will fall through the cracks.
If your business plans to invest in training employees, that’s only half the job. Tracking your efforts with a comprehensive employee training tracking software helps you get the job done from start to finish.